Create OpenStack VMs in few seconds

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 19 13:26:20 UTC 2021

On 2021-04-19 16:31:24 +0530 (+0530), open infra wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 8:38 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
[...]
> > The next best thing is basically what Nodepool[*] does: start new
> > virtual machines ahead of time and keep them available in the
> > tenant. This does of course mean you're occupying additional quota
> > for whatever base "ready" capacity you've set for your various
> > images/flavors, and that you need to be able to predict how many of
> > what kinds of virtual machines you're going to need in advance.
> >
> > [*] https://zuul-ci.org/docs/nodepool/
>
> Is it recommended to use nodepool in a production environment?

I can't begin to guess what you mean by "in a production
environment," but it forms the lifecycle management basis for our
production CI/CD system (as it does for many other Zuul
installations). In the case of the deployment I help run, it's
continuously connected to over a dozen production clouds, both
public and private.

But anyway, I didn't say "use Nodepool." I suggested you look at
"what Nodepool does" as a model for starting server instances in
advance within the tenants/projects which regularly require instant
access to new virtual machines.
--
Jeremy Stanley