[ops][nova][victoria] Migrate cross CPU?

DHilsbos at performair.com DHilsbos at performair.com
Thu Apr 15 18:05:38 UTC 2021

All;

I seem to have generated another issue for myself...

I built our Victoria cloud initially on Intel Atom servers.  We recently received the first of our AMD Epyc (7002 series) servers, which are intended to take over the Nova Compute responsibilities.

I've had success in the past doing live migrates, but live migrating from one of the Atom servers to the new server fails, with an error indicating CPU compatibility problems.  Ok, I can understand that.

My problem is that I don't seem to understand the openstack server migrate command (non-live).  It doesn't seem to do anything, whether the instance is Running or Shut Down.  I can't find errors in the logs from the API / conductor / scheduler host.

I also can't find an option to pass to the openstack server start command which requests a specific host.

Can I get these existing instances moved from the Atom servers to the Epyc server(s), or do I need to recreate them to do this?

Thank you,

Dominic L. Hilsbos, MBA
Director - Information Technology
Perform Air International Inc.