[all] Gate resources and performance

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 09:57:57 UTC 2021

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 18:53, Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > I'll try to circle back and generate a new set of numbers with
> > my script, and also see if I can get updated numbers from Clark on the
> > overall percentages.
>
> Okay, I re-ran the numbers this morning and got updated 30-day stats
> from Clark. Here's what I've got (delta from the last report in parens):
>
>     Project     % of total  Node Hours     Nodes
>     ----------------------------------------------
>     1. Neutron    23%       34h (-4)       30 (-2)
>     2. TripleO    18%       17h (-14)      14 (-6)
>     3. Nova        7%       22h (+1)       25 (-0)
>     4. Kolla       6%       10h (-2)       18 (-0)
>     5. OSA         6%       19h (-3)       16 (-1)
>
> Definitely a lot of improvement from tripleo, so thanks for that!
> Neutron rose to the top and is still very hefty. I think Nova's 1-hr
> rise is probably just noise given the node count didn't change. I think
> we're still waiting on zuulv3 conversion of the grenade multinode job so
> we can drop the base grenade job, which will make things go down.

Thanks Dan,

I've recently introduced a standalone nova-live-migration-ceph job
that might be the cause of the additional hour for Nova.

zuul: Add nova-live-migration-ceph job
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/768466

While this adds extra load it should be easier to maintain over the
previous all in one live migration job that restacked the environment
by making direct calls into various devstack plugins.

Regarding the switch to the multinode grenade job I'm still working
through that below and wanted to land it once Xena is formally open:

zuul: Replace grenade and nova-grenade-multinode with grenade-multinode
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/778885/

This series also includes some attempted cleanup of our
irrelevant-files for a few jobs that will hopefully reduce our numbers
further. Plenty of work left to do here throughout Xena but it's a
start.

Cheers,

Lee