[ironic] IPA image does not want to boot with UEFI

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 18:42:43 UTC 2021

Adding the list back and trimming the message. Replies in-band.

Well, that is good that the server is not signed, nor other esp images
are not working.
On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM Vuk Gojnic <vuk.gojnic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Julia,
>
> Thanks for asking. I have tried with several ESP image options with same effect (one taken from Ubuntu Live ISO that boots on that node, another downloaded and third made with grub tools). None of them was signed.

Interesting. At least it is consistent! Have you tried to pull down
the iso image and take it apart to verify it is UEFI bootable against
a VM or another physical machine?

I'm wondering if you need both uefi parameters set. You definitely
don't have properties['capabilities']['boot_mode'] set which is used
or... maybe a better word to use is drawn in for asserting defaults,
but you do have the deploy_boot_mode setting set.

I guess a quick manual sanity check of the actual resulting iso image
is going to be critical. Debug logging may also be useful, and I'm
only thinking that because there is no logging from the generation of
the image.

> The server is not in UEFI secure boot mode.

Interesting, sure sounds like it is based on your original message. :(

> Btw. I will be on holidays for next week so I might not be able to follow up on this discussion before Apr 12th.

No worries, just ping us on irc.freenode.net in #openstack-ironic if a
reply on the mailing list doesn't grab our attention.

> Bests,
> Vuk
>
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 4:20 PM Julia Kreger <juliaashleykreger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Two questions:
>> 1) Are the ESP image contents signed, or are they built using one of
>> the grub commands?
>> 2) Is the machine set to enforce secure boot at this time?

[trim]