[tc][all] Wallaby Cycle Community Goals

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 10:29:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 22:39 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 9/21/20 7:53 PM, Graham Hayes wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > It is that time of year / release again - and we need to choose the
> > community goals for Wallaby.
> >
> > Myself and Nate looked over the list of goals [1][2][3], and we are
> > suggesting one of the following:
> >

> >  - Finish moving legacy python-*client CLIs to python-openstackclient
>
> Go go go !!! :)
>
> >  - Move from oslo.rootwrap to oslo.privsep
>
> Dito. Rootwrap is painfully slow (because it takes too long to spawn a
> python process...).
>
> >  - Implement the API reference guide changes
> >  - All API to provide a /healthcheck URL like Keystone (and others) provide
>
> What about an "openstack purge <project-name>" that would call all
> projects? We once had a "/purge" goal, I'm not sure how far it went...
> What I know, is that purging all resources of a project is currently
> still a big painpoint.
>
> > Some of these goals have champions signed up already, but we need to
> > make sure they are still available to do them. If you are interested in
> > helping drive any of the goals, please speak up!
>
> I'm still available to attempt the /healthcheck thingy, I kind of
> succeed in all major project but ... nova. Unfortunately, it was decided
> in the project that we should put this on hold until the /healthcheck
> can implement more check than just to know if the API is alive. 5 months
> forward, I believe my original patch [1] should have been approved first
> as a first approach. Nova team: any reaction?
i actually dont think the healthcheck enpoint is userful in it current from for any porject
that has distibuted process like nova, neutron or cinder. that was not the only concern raised
either as the default content of the detail responce wich include package infomation was considerd
a possible security vulnerablity so with out agreeing on what kindo fo info can be retruned, its format and
 wether this would be a admin only endpoint or a public endpoint tenant can check potentially without auth
i dont think we should be procedding with this as a goal.

https://github.com/openstack/oslo.middleware/blob/master/oslo_middleware/healthcheck/__init__.py#L150-L152
^ is concerning from a security point of view.

nova support configurable middelway still through the api-paste.ini file
so untill we have a useful health check im not sure we should merge anything since operators
can just enable it themselves if they want too.