[all][election][tc] Candidacy

Jay Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:03:54 UTC 2020

Dear OpenStack Community,

This note is to officially announce my intention to be re-elected to the
OpenStack TC in the Wallaby cycle.

At this point, I think that many of you know me, but for those who don't I will
briefly introduce myself.  I have been a part of the OpenStack Community since early
in 2013.  At that time I was working for IBM and acted as the liaison between the
storage teams developing Cinder drivers for IBM's storage solutions and the
Community.  I am currently working at Lenovo as the Principal Cloud
Architect, leading a team that is developing automated infrastructure
deployment and cloud deploy solutions for several different cloud platforms.

During my time in the OpenStack Community I have been a Cinder core
team member and served as PTL for Cinder for two years.  I have been an active
part of on-boarding for new Community members, helping and supporting the
Upstream Institute sessions since the 2016 session in Barcelona.  I also have
been active in projects outside of Cinder, acting as Oslo liaison for Cinder
and helping the documentation team back in the days that that was a thing.

Most recently, I have served a year on the OpenStack TC.  I will admit that
the experience has come with a learning curve.  My time has also been during
a time of change for the TC and for OpenStack in general.  During my time on
the TC I was proud to organize the first review of Technical Committee
questions in the annual user survey.  The exercise was interesting and
I feel it brought good information to the TC with regards to what the
community needs to be doing to best serve our users.

I also have been active in the discussions around how to handle
leaderless projects.  I feel that my experience as a PTL for a
notable period of time and core team member for over 6 years gives me
perspective to talk about how we continue to develop OpenStack project
structure.

During my last year, my focus at work has changed from pure development to
being more of a designer/consumer of cloud solutions.  The solutions are
not exclusively OpenStack, but now include OpenShift and VMware based clouds.
The change in focus has given me new perspective on how OpenStack fits into
the cloud ecosystem and I think it is perspective that will be helpful in the
coming year as we now have a combined Technical Committee and User Committee.

If re-elected I will support getting the OpenStack community connected with
other cloud communities, especially the k8s community.  I will continue to
support efforts to adapt OpenStack's processes and projects to make things
easier for projects both large and small.  I also hope to help to set
goals for the community that will help it continue to be a vibrant and
relevant cloud solution for years to come!

Working with the OpenStack Community has always been something that
I have been very proud to do in my career.  I thank you all for the
opportunity to serve as a TC member the last year and hope that I
can continue to serve the community in this capacity.

Sincerely,
Jay Bryant
IRC (Freenode): jungleboyj