[tc][all] Wallaby Cycle Community Goals

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:55:21 UTC 2020

Hi

> On 24. Sep 2020, at 22:39, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>

>>  - Finish moving legacy python-*client CLIs to python-openstackclient
>
> Go go go !!! :)

Cool, that somebody needs that. What we actually miss here is the people doing that. Amount of work is really big (while in the long run it will definitely help reducing overall efforts). My suggestion is to focus for this cycle only on nova (targeting more is simply useless). I have started switching some parts in OSC to use SDK (https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:osc-first <https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:osc-first>). Any help (even simply reviews) is welcome. I don’t like summer dev cycle, since the work is really close to 0 due to vacations season. But in autumn/winter I will try do more if there is acceptance.

Honestly speaking I do not believe in a community goal for that any more. It was tried, but it feels there is a split in the community. My personal opinion is that we should simply start doing that from SDK/CLI side closely working with one service at a time (since nova team expressed desire I started supporting them. Hope it will bring its fruits). Teams willing that will be able to achieve the target, teams not willing are free to stay. TC might think differently and act correspondingly, this is just my personal opinion. Other approaches seem a bit of utopia to me.

> What about an "openstack purge <project-name>" that would call all
> projects? We once had a "/purge" goal, I'm not sure how far it went...
> What I know, is that purging all resources of a project is currently
> still a big painpoint.

Please have a look at https://review.opendev.org/#/c/734485/ <https://review.opendev.org/#/c/734485/> It implements an “alternative” from the OSC point of view by invoking relatively newly introduced project cleanup functionality in SDK. This supports more that original purge (except identity parts), tries to do in parallel as much as possible and even now supports filtering (i.e. drop all resources created or updated before DD.MM.YYYY). I am not sure here whether it should replace purge or come as alternative so far. Here as well - reviews and comments are welcome.

For reference, back in Denver it was agreed to go this way, since no other approach seemed to be really achievable.

Regards,
Artem