[manila][FFE] Request for "User messages panel"

Goutham Pacha Ravi gouthampravi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:05:21 UTC 2020

Hello Victoria, all,

I discussed this with the reviewers - it's unorthodox to have a feature
change like this merge before RC, but there have been several contributing
factors here, including my personal confusion regarding the feature freeze
deadline for the UI plugin, given we switched its release model very
recently (https://review.opendev.org/#/c/746197/); and further because
Victoria Martinez and the reviewers were coordinating a common user
experience with the corresponding cinder feature in horizon (
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/734161/), and getting reviews from horizon
cores.

This change has been tested to the team's satisfaction; and the risk here
is having the newly introduced UI panel fields lack translations because
we're in a hard string freeze. We thoroughly value the translators' time
and energy - we have had ~16% of this project translated in the past
releases and these translations are valuable to us. However, I would like
to approve this request for two reasons - no existing translatable strings
have been modified, and this change implements something that end users
have been waiting for, completing the self-service piece of consuming
actionable error messages.

Thanks,
Goutham