core os password reset

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 13:45:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-09-16 at 06:39 -0700, Michael STFC wrote:
>  Our openstack env automatically injects SSH keys) and already does that
> with all other images I have downloaded to deployed e.g fedora cloud images
> and ceros cloud image.
>
> However core os is different and I have tried to edit grub added
> coreos.autologin=tty1
> but nothing.
>
> Also tried to do this via cloud-config
>
> #cloud-config
>
> coreos:
>     units:
>       - name: etcd.service
>         command: start
>
> users:
>   - name: core
>     passwd: coreos
>     ssh_authorized_keys:
>   - "ssh-rsa xxxxx"
>

> And not luck - when vm boots it hangs.
Coreos does not use cloud config by default it uses ignition.
i belive you can still configure it with cloud init but you have to do it
slightly differnet then normal.
https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/booting-on-openstack.html#container-linux-configs
has the detail you need. basically you have to either pass an ignition script as the user
data or Container Linux Config format.

cloud init wont work.

e.g.
nova boot \
--user-data ./config.ign \
--image cdf3874c-c27f-4816-bc8c-046b240e0edd \
--key-name coreos \
--flavor m1.medium \
--min-count 3 \
--security-groups default,coreos