[Magnum][kolla-ansible][kayobe] Information gathering for 2 blocking issues

Tony Pearce tonyppe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:18:20 UTC 2020

Hi Feilong, I hope you are keeping well.

Thank you for sticking with me on this issue to try and help me here. I
really appreciate it!

I tried creating a new flavour like you suggested and using 10GB for root
volume [1]. The cluster does start to be created (no error about 0mb disk)
but while being created, I can check the compute node and see that the
instance disk is being provisioned on the compute node [2]. I assume that
this is the 10GB root volume that is specified in the flavour.

When I list the volumes which have been created, I do not see the 10GB disk
allocated on the compute node, but I do see the iSCSI network volume that
has been created and attached to the instance (eg master) [3]. This is 15GB
volume and this 15GB is coming from the kubernetes cluster template, under
"Docker Volume Size (GB)" in the "node spec" section. There is very little
data written to this volume at the time of master instance booted.

Eventually, kube cluster failed to create with error "Status
Create_Failed: Resource CREATE failed: Error:
resources.kube_minions.resources[0].resources.node_config_deployment:
Deployment to server failed: deploy_status_code: Deployment exited with
non-zero status code: 1". I'll try and find the root cause of this later.

What are your thoughts on this outcome? Is it possible to avoid consuming
compute node disk? I require it because it cannot scale.

[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/797862/
[2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/797865/
[3] http://paste.openstack.org/show/797863/

Kind regards,