Is Storyboard really the future?

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:22:44 UTC 2020

Hi Sean,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 2:06 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-09-10 at 13:10 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> > Hi fellow OpenStackers,
> >
> > The subject is the question I am posing.
> > The general recommendation is to use Storyboard for new projects [1].
> > However, Storyboard does not seem to be receiving enough love recently [2] [3].
> > It's generally deemed as slow [4] and is missing quite a few usability
> > enhancements [2].
> > Considering the alternative, and the actual previous recommendation,
> > is Launchpad, I find it no-brainer to revert to recommending Launchpad
> > still, even paving a way for projects wishing to escape the Storyboard
> > nightmare. :-)
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I really like the Story/Task orientation but
> > Storyboard results in a frustrating experience. In addition to being
> > slow, it has issues with search/filter, sorting and pagination which
> > make issue browsing an utter pain.
> > I know Launchpad is not without issues but it's certainly a much
> > better platform at the moment.
> > And many projects are still there.
> >
> > The Launchpad-Storyboard split is also introducing confusion for users
> > [5] and coordinability issues for teams as we need to cross-link
> > manually to get proper visibility.
> >
> > All in all, I ask you to consider recommending Launchpad again and
> > encourage OpenStack projects to move to Launchpad.
> some porjects like nova and neutron never left launchpad and personally
> i had hopped they never would so that is still my preference but as far
> as i know there is notihgn preventing any project form move too or moving
> from launchpad as it stands.

Kolla did neither. We only have Kayobe that's on Storyboard (due to
recommendation).

I did not want to sound like it was enforced. It is not - as far as I
understand it.

The thing is: recommending a perceivably worse solution does not seem like
a good idea to me. It also does not benefit the scene to split it
between two worlds.

-yoctozepto