Is Storyboard really the future?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 12:06:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-09-10 at 13:10 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> Hi fellow OpenStackers,
>
> The subject is the question I am posing.
> The general recommendation is to use Storyboard for new projects [1].
> However, Storyboard does not seem to be receiving enough love recently [2] [3].
> It's generally deemed as slow [4] and is missing quite a few usability
> enhancements [2].
> Considering the alternative, and the actual previous recommendation,
> is Launchpad, I find it no-brainer to revert to recommending Launchpad
> still, even paving a way for projects wishing to escape the Storyboard
> nightmare. :-)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I really like the Story/Task orientation but
> Storyboard results in a frustrating experience. In addition to being
> slow, it has issues with search/filter, sorting and pagination which
> make issue browsing an utter pain.
> I know Launchpad is not without issues but it's certainly a much
> better platform at the moment.
> And many projects are still there.
>
> The Launchpad-Storyboard split is also introducing confusion for users
> [5] and coordinability issues for teams as we need to cross-link
> manually to get proper visibility.
>
> All in all, I ask you to consider recommending Launchpad again and
> encourage OpenStack projects to move to Launchpad.
some porjects like nova and neutron never left launchpad and personally
i had hopped they never would so that is still my preference but as far
as i know there is notihgn preventing any project form move too or moving
from launchpad as it stands.

if kolla* waht move they can without needing to change any other policies
the cookie cutter templeate for seting up new repo also support both you can
select it when you create the repo. im not sure what the default is currently
but you are given the choice if i recall correctly.