[all][tc][goals] Migrate CI/CD jobs to new Ubuntu LTS Focal: Week R-4 Update
gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Sep 7 14:29:40 UTC 2020
Please find the week R-4 updates on 'Ubuntu Focal migration' community goal. Its time to force the base jobs migration which can
break the projects gate if not yet taken care of. Read below for the plan.
* We are close to V-3 release and this is time we have to complete this migration otherwise doing it in RC period can add
unnecessary and last min delay. I am going to plan this migration in two-part. This will surely break some projects gate
which is not yet finished the migration but we have to do at some time. Please let me know if any objection to the below
* Part1: Migrating tox base job tomorrow (8th Sept):
** I am going to open tox base jobs migration (doc, unit, functional, lower-constraints etc) to merge by tomorrow. which is this
series (all base patches of this): https://review.opendev.org/#/c/738328/ .
**There are few repos still failing on requirements lower-constraints job specifically which I tried my best to fix as many as possible.
Many are ready to merge also. Please merge or work on your projects repo testing before that or fix on priority if failing.
* Part2: Migrating devstack/tempest base job on 10th sept:
* We have few open bugs for this which are not yet resolved, we will see how it goes but the current plan is to migrate by 10th Sept.
** DB migration issues,
*** alembic and few on telemetry/gnocchi side https://github.com/sqlalchemy/alembic/issues/699, https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2008003
Testing Till now:
* ~200 repos gate have been tested or fixed till now.
* ~100 repos are under test and failing. Debugging and fixing are in progress (If you would like to help, please check your
project repos if I am late to fix them):
* ~30repos fixes ready to merge:
1. Bug#1882521. (IN-PROGRESS)
There is open bug for nova/cinder where three tempest tests are failing for
volume detach operation. There is no clear root cause found yet
We have skipped the tests in tempest base patch to proceed with the other
projects testing but this is blocking things for the migration.
2. DB migration issues (IN-PROGRESS)
* alembic and few on telemetry/gnocchi side https://github.com/sqlalchemy/alembic/issues/699, https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2008003
3. We encountered the nodeset name conflict with x/tobiko. (FIXED)
nodeset conflict is resolved now and devstack provides all focal nodes now.
4. Bug#1886296. (IN-PROGRESS)
pyflakes till 2.1.0 is not compatible with python 3.8 which is the default python version
on ubuntu focal. With pep8 job running on focal faces the issue and fail. We need to bump
the pyflakes to 2.1.1 as min version to run pep8 jobs on py3.8.
As of now, many projects are using old hacking version so I am explicitly adding pyflakes>=2.1.1
on the project side but for the long term easy maintenance, I am doing it in 'hacking' requirements.txt
nd will release a new hacking version. After that project can move to new hacking and do not need
to maintain pyflakes version compatibility.
5. Bug#1886298. (IN-PROGRESS)
'Markupsafe' 1.0 is not compatible with the latest version of setuptools,
We need to bump the lower-constraint for Markupsafe to 1.1.1 to make it work.
There are a few more issues with lower-constraint jobs which I am debugging.
What work to be done on the project side:
This goal is more of testing the jobs on focal and fixing bugs if any otherwise
migrate jobs by switching the nodeset to focal node sets defined in devstack.
1. Start a patch in your repo by making depends-on on either of below:
devstack base patch if you are using only devstack base jobs not tempest:
tempest base patch if you are using the tempest base job (like devstack-tempest):
Both have depends-on on the series where I am moving unit/functional/doc/cover/nodejs tox jobs to focal. So
you can test the complete gate jobs(unit/functional/doc/integration) together.
This and its base patches - https://review.opendev.org/#/c/738328/
2. If none of your project jobs override the nodeset then above patch will be
testing patch(do not merge) otherwise change the nodeset to focal.
3. If the jobs are defined in branchless repo and override the nodeset then you need to override the branches
variant to adjust the nodeset so that those jobs run on Focal on victoria onwards only. If no nodeset
is overridden then devstack being branched and stable base job using bionic/xenial will take care of
4. If no updates need you can abandon the testing patch (https://review.opendev.org/#/c/744341/). If it need
updates then modify the same patch with proper commit msg, once it pass the gate then remove the Depends-On
so that you can merge your patch before base jobs are switched to focal. This way we make sure no gate downtime in
Once we finish the testing on projects side and no failure then we will merge the devstack and tempest
Important things to note:
* Do not forgot to add the story and task link to your patch so that we can track it smoothly.
* Use gerrit topic 'migrate-to-focal'
* Do not backport any of the patches.
Goal doc: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/victoria/migrate-ci-cd-jobs-to-ubuntu-focal.html
Storyboard tracking: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007865
More information about the openstack-discuss