[all][TC] OpenStack Client (OSC) vs python-*clients

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:15:48 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 8:07 AM Belmiro Moreira
<moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I don't think we have reached any conclusion.

You have reached the same conclusion that gets reached whenever this
comes up.  Lots of desire and hope, no resources.

> It would be great if the SDK/openstackclient team and the different projects that raised some concerns can collaborate and move forward.

I am going to be blunt.  Until someone steps up to dedicate resources
to both projects the overall situation will only continue to
deteriorate.  Foundation member companies do not see a CLI as a
priority.[0]  And it is much more than a single person can carry...

The SDK is clearly in better shape than OSC, Monty and team are making
great progress there.  For OSC, Keystone was completed as early as it
was because of the priority they put on getting out of the CLI
business and the enormous amount of work Keystone devs did for
OSC..[1]

dt

[0] I was told once by one of the Platinum CEOs that clients (not just
CLIs) were unimportant.  History seems to be more on his side than
ours.
[1] In lieu of forgetting someone I'll just say that said stevemar's
contributions to OSC as a whole are still unequalled.  Thanks Steve!

--
Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com