[all][TC] OpenStack Client (OSC) vs python-*clients

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Fri Sep 4 07:31:38 UTC 2020

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 at 16:45, Artem Goncharov <artem.goncharov at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 3. Sep 2020, at 17:10, Artom Lifshitz <alifshit at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 9:05 AM Belmiro Moreira
> > <moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone,
> >> thank you for all your comments.
> >> However, I don't think we have reached any conclusion.
> >>
> >> It would be great if the SDK/openstackclient team and the different projects that raised some concerns can collaborate and move forward.
> >> Personally, I believe that the current situation is a very bad user experience.
> >>
> >> Let us know how the TC can help.
> >
> > Can we start by agreeing (or can the TC just top-down mandate?) an end
> > state we want to get to? The way I've understood it and see it, what
> > we're aiming for is:
> >
> > A. osc is user-facing CLI shell around sdk
> > B. sdk is the only official client library for interacting with the
> > OpenStack REST APIs
> >
> > I've been working with those assumptions for [1] and addressing point
> > B, leaving point A to the osc team.
> >
> > If we take B to be true, patches like [2] would get blocked and
> > redirected to the SDK for the API logic, with only the CLI parts in
> > the osc. That doesn't seem to be the case, so I don't know what to
> > think anymore.
> >

> From all the discussions we held over the time, yes, A is definitely our target (while there might be still special cases)
>
> As SDK/OSC team we can say: B is true in a perfect world, but it is not a valid statement today. Somebody need to invest pretty huge effort in making this happen (I know this since I already invested in switching image part). During this time all the changes to OSC for things not based on SDK would need to be blocked. Amount of active people deep in the code of SDK/CLI is too small currently to handle this fast. On the other side, if nova team commits to do their patches to SDK first (what I see you guys are definitely doing, a great Thanks!) - we would be able to switch CLI for nova to SDK much easier.
> The more teams would be doing that, the easier would it be to clean OSC up.
>
> Very unfortunately since last PTG there were only very minor activities in SDK/OSC team, but I would like to change this now (unfortunately there are still just 24 hours in the day). Let me see where I can find another few hours a day for repairing things and set a personal (or hopefully SDK team) target to move at least few nova resources onto CLI at SDK until next PTG. ;-)

I'm not working on this, and haven't been following it, but honestly
given the current level of activity in OpenStack this sounds unlikely
to happen. IMO from a user perspective, focussing on feature parity
for OSC for all clients should be the priority, especially when teams
like Glance say they would need multiple cycles with both clients
maintaining parity in order to deprecate and drop their legacy client.