[tripleo, ironic] Error: Could not retrieve ... pxelinux.0

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 18:28:26 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:10 PM Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dear Alex,
>
> thanks for the reply. In my case, the undercloud is running on CenOS 8:
>
> [stack at undercloud ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 8.2.2004 (Core)
>
> What I'm trying to install is "upstream TripleO", if such a thing
> even exists. The packages are built for RHEL 8/CentOS 8, at least:
>
> [stack at undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/openstack
> python3-openstackclient-4.0.1-0.20200817052906.bff556c.el8.noarch
> [stack at undercloud ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/share/python-tripleoclient/undercloud.conf.sample
> python3-tripleoclient-12.3.2-0.20200820055917.c15d0d0.el8.noarch
>
> I'm most curious about what a TripleO developer would do in this case.
> Surely there's a way to have some local repository of some yet unknown
> component, which I can then instrument or modify, and which is
> responsible for dealing with PXE. But what is it?

Since this is a puppet error, looking in puppet ironic for what to
fix/address would be the first place to do this.  Since we mount the
puppet modules from the host system, you can debug by modifying the
local modules under /usr/share/openstack-puppet/modules.  In this
particular error, it's trying to copy the ipxe file from
/usr/share/ipxe/ in the container to a different folder. It seems like
either the ipxe location has changed or the package is not installed
in the container.  You could launch an instance to inspect the
contents of the container to troubleshoot.  That being said, since
we're not seeing this in any of the CI jobs, I wonder what your
configuration(s) looks like and if you are pulling the correct
containers/repos/etc.