Editing libvirt xml file

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri Oct 30 17:23:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 11:56 -0500, vladimir franciz blando wrote:
> Hi,
> I edited the  libvirt xml (virsh edit...) file of a running Windows
> server instance because I changed the video model type from cirrus to
> vmvga so it can support a higher resolution on a console (cirrus
> supports up to 1280 only).
> After editing, i "soft-rebooted" the instance and the new
> configuration sticks.  That's awesome.

Please don't do this :) You shouldn't change things about an instance
behind nova's back. It breaks resource tracking and can cause all sorts
of horribleness.

> But when you do a "hard-reboot" it will revert back to the original
> config.

Hard reboot builds configuration from scratch, dumping the existing
XML. This is built from the same things used when you first create the
instance (flavor + extra specs, image + metadata, host-level config,
...).

What you want is the 'hw_video_model' image metadata property. Set this
and rebuild your instance:

	openstack image set --property hw_video_model=vmvga $IMAGE
	openstack server rebuild $SERVER $IMAGE

Note that rebuild is a destructive operation so be sure you're aware of
what this is doing before you do it.

Stephen