[TripleO] [ptg] deployment flow

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com
Mon Oct 26 20:26:42 UTC 2020

After today's PTG meeting want to make sure I have the right understanding of deployment flow.
After deploying  undercloud, are these the steps need to be done that are partially outside TripleO (https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/tripleo-docs/latest/provisioning/baremetal_provision.html ):

  1.  Ironic discovery to discover all nodes. (networking for ironic must be in place for all nodes)
  2.  Metalsmith will provision baremetal machines - https://docs.openstack.org/metalsmith/latest/
  3.  Metalsmith  provisions OS on provisioned nodes
  4.  Something(???) optionally provisions Ceph (based  on appropriate roles)
  5.  Something(???) optionally provisions other 3rd party services, like switch provisioning (based on appropriate roles)
  6.  Metalsmith optionally provisions Glance (may require Ceph or other 3rd party storage)
  7.  Metalsmith optionally provisions Neutron (may require switch provisioning)
  8.  TripleO deploys overcloud

Is this the correct flow?
Do we still need "openstack overcloud node provision" call or metalsmith already handles it? Or this call uses metalsmith under the cover?

Thanks,
Arkady