[all][tc] Re: divisive language discussion

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:12:21 UTC 2020

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your thoughtful email.  Apologies for top posting, but I
simply want to make a general observation.

Hegel postulated a master/slave, not a master/apprentice, dialectic.  I
think Western culture, at least, has been tainted to the point where on
a word association test, the most common association to "master" would
be "slave", even if you took the test in a recording studio.  (But
that's an empirical question and I haven't done any research, it's just
a guess.)  But what it comes down to for me, is that "master" in "master
tape", "headmaster", "master of my domain", etc., is being used
metaphorically and not accurately.  A "master tape" isn't really a
master of all the other tapes, etc.  I think the "master" metaphor
encourages sloppy thinking, and here I do have some empirical evidence.

Take a look at the discussion on this OpenStack Glance review from 2017:

https://review.opendev.org/#/c/424752

The original code was using master/slave, and everybody sort of
understood what was going on, but it was not in fact accurate, and in
addition to purging Hegelianism from Glance, the patch does improve the
code and make the relationship more clear.  So what's not to like?

I don't have a problem removing language whose related metaphors are
offensive or exclusionary if it results in a better technical solution.
  I don't think anyone is proposing that we put up general patches
simply replacing 'master' with some other term; the ask is that we do
this in a thoughtful way (which will be fought out in gerrit in the
usual manner).  At least that's how I look at this issue.

One more thing and then I will shut up.  OpenStack is written in Python
partially because it was seen as having a lower barrier to entry than
other languages, and would encourage participation and make the
community more inclusive.  Thus the TC or other appropriate body saying
that it's preferred not to use wording identified as oppressive, racist,
and sexist by members of our communities doesn't strike me as
significantly different from core contributors asking for revisions on
patches that write Python code in a non-Pythonic way (that is, using
code patterns common in some other programming language, but which are
non-idiomatic for Python).  I don't mean to minimize your censorship
concerns, but I do think they are misplaced.

cheers,
brian