[diskimage-builder][ironic-python-agent-builder][ci][focal][ironic] ipa-builder CI jobs can't migrate to ubuntu focal nodeset

Riccardo Pittau elfosardo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:59:52 UTC 2020

Hello again!

Thanks everyone for joining the discussion and for the advice, much
appreciated.

To summarize the current situation:
- at the moment it's not possible to build any rpm-based image on ubuntu
focal using diskimage-builder with the centos-minimal element;
- so far, we've successfully built the centos8 based ipa-ramdisk using
diskimage-builder in ironic-python-agent-builder on centos-8 nodeset, but
using the same nodeset also for testing the image (so running devstack)
would be very time expensive because of the changes involved;
- during the last ironic meeting, it has been decided to switch to the
centos element and give that a try using the ubuntu focal nodeset; main
concern about this approach is the final size of the ipa ramdisk, tests are
ongoing and it looks promising:
https://review.opendev.org/757808
https://review.opendev.org/757811
https://review.opendev.org/757812