[ironic] Re: OpenStack Ironic Issue

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:11:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 6:09 AM Arne Wiebalck <arne.wiebalck at cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi Akshay,
>
> On 09.10.20 06:58, Akshay 346 wrote:
> > Hello Team,
> >
> > I hope you all are good.
> >
> > I am using openstack ironic deployment and have some issues and some
> > observations. These are:
> >
> > Issue:  At the time of "openstack server create" for launching baremetal
> > node, I came across the following multiple observations:
> >
> > - Sometimes when I launch baremetal node on openstack, after one time
> > pxe booting, the baremetal node goes down again and then comes up and
> > goes into second time booting and gets stuck there in "Probing" state (
> > Seen on node's console) BUT according to openstack horizon, it is up and
> > running and according to "openstack baremetal node show", it is in
> > "Active" state.
>
> Right: in order to deploy a node, Ironic will boot the node via PXE
> into a ramdisk (with the Ironic Python Agent) to download and install
> the user image. Once this is done, it boots the node from the just
> installed disk. These are the two boot events you see.
>
> At the moment when Ironic boots the node the second time, Ironic is done
> with the deployment. At this stage the node moves to active, which means
> there is now a user instance on this node. Whether or not the node is
> able to boot from this image does not affect this state.
>

> > - And sometimes when i launch  baremetal node on openstack, after one
> > time pxe booting, the baremetal node goes down again and then comes up,
> > the "spawning" state on openstack horizon  goes into ERROR.
> >
> > Error seen in "nova-compute-ironic-0" container is :
> >
> > "ERROR nova.compute.manager [instance:
> > edd447c6-12ac-49ba-b0bc-f419aff4892a]
> > nova.exception.InstanceDeployFailure: Failed to provision instance
> > edd447c6-12ac-49ba-b0bc-f419aff4892a: Timeout reached while waiting for
> > callback for node 75210cc4-ad98-442d-ace1-89ce69467580"

One thing worth noting is callback timeout failures are typically a
result of the physical networking or some process involving the
physical infrastucture. A good first step is to watch the physical
machine's console if you can and see if it network boots. The next
step is to make sure it is actually able to perform it's lookup and
heartbeat operation to the ironic API. Routing issues or firewall
issues from your provisioning network to your API endpoints can cause
deployments to fail like this.