[diskimage-builder][ironic-python-agent-builder][ci][focal][ironic] ipa-builder CI jobs can't migrate to ubuntu focal nodeset

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Thu Oct 8 08:08:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 05:20, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 05:09:56PM +0200, Riccardo Pittau wrote:
> > This is possible using utilities (e.g. yumdownloader) included in packages
> > still present in the ubuntu repositories, such as yum-utils and rpm.
> > Starting from Ubuntu focal, the yum-utils package has been removed from the
> > repositories because of lack of support of Python 2.x and there's no plan
> > to provide such support, at least to my knowledge.
>
> Yes, this is a problem for the "-minimal" elements that build an
> non-native chroot environment.  Similar issues have occured with Suse
> and the zypper package manager not being available on the build host.
>
> The options I can see:
>
> - use the native build-host; i.e. build on centos as you described
>
> - the non-minimal, i.e. "centos" and "suse", for example, images might
>   work under the current circumstances.  They use the upsream ISO to
>   create the initial chroot.  These are generally bigger, and we've
>   had stability issues in the past with the upstream images changing
>   suddenly in various ways that were a maintenance headache.
>
> - use a container for dib.  DIB doesn't have a specific container, but
>   is part of the nodepool-builder container [1].  This is ultimately
>   based on Debian buster [2] which has enough support to build
>   everything ... for now.  As noted this doesn't really solve the
>   problem indefinitely, but certainly buys some time if you run dib
>   out of that container (we could, of course, make a separate dib
>   container; but it would be basically the same just without nodepool
>   in it).  This is what OpenDev production is using now, and all the
>   CI is ultimately based on this container environment.
If this could be wrapped up in a DIB-like command, this seems the most
flexible to me.

> - As clarkb has mentioned, probably the most promising alternative is
>   to use the upstream container images as the basis for the initial
>   chroot environments.  jeblair has done most of this work with [3].
>   I'm fiddling with it to merge to master and see what's up ... I feel
>   like maybe there were bootloader issues, although the basic
>   extraction was working.  This will allow the effort put into
>   existing elements to not be lost.
Initial reaction is that this would suffer from the same problems as
using a cloud image as the base, but worse. Container images are seen
as disposable, and who knows what measures might have been taken to
reduce their size and disable/remove the init system?