[nova][ops] The need for healing instance info cache to base itself on neutron for its port list

Jean-Philippe Méthot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Tue Oct 6 18:35:16 UTC 2020

Hi,

This is related to bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1751923 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1751923> . I don’t see if this was fixed in more recent versions as we are running Rocky, but according to the different code reviews linked to the bug report, this was never committed into Openstack master. I apologize in advance if this was already fixed elsewhere (it’s marked as fixed in Stein, but the reviews say the code was never committed?).

Essentially, we’re running into a production issue where sometimes, after being shutdown for a while, our VMs ports just straight up disappear from Nova. Obviously, since this is production, we have to scramble to link back the port to the VM to bring the VM back up. As a result, we have not identified yet the exact source of our issue. However, we do have tested Mohammed Naser’s patch linked to this issue and it has at the very least offered us a band-aid since the VMs appear to be keeping their ports now.

Would it be possible to review and commit this patch or Matt Riedeman’s patch to master and backport it? Couldn’t it just have a configuration option to enable it? While I’m not convinced it can fix the root cause of our problem, it could at least contribute to the stability of our and other people’s Openstack cluster.

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Senior Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack sénior
PlanetHoster inc.