[charms] Zaza bundle tests

Alex Kavanagh alex.kavanagh at canonical.com
Tue Oct 6 13:36:23 UTC 2020

Hi

So I'm not massively against the idea, but I would like to present some
potential disadvantages for consideration:

I have to admit to not being keen to using symlinks for the functional test
yaml files.  My main objection is maintenance as new openstack and ubuntu
releases occur and bundles are added and removed from the charm.

At present, without symlinks (apart from in the overlays), the bundle for
an ubuntu-openstack version is a plain file.  To remove a version, it is
just deleted.  If there are symlinks then the 'base.yaml' version
represents the one that the charm starts with (say bionic-queens).  And
then bionic-rocky is a symlink (perhaps with an overlay) and bionic-stein
is another symlink, etc.   However, at some point in the future
bionic-queens will eventually be removed.  base.yaml is the
'bionic-queens'.  So what is done with base.yaml?  Do we make it
'focal-ussuri' and change all the overlays?  Leave it as is?  Have a new
base for each Ubuntu LTS and work from that?

Whilst the current system isn't DRY, it does make it simple to see what's
in a particular test bundle for a variation.

Having said all of the above, it is a bit of a pain to manage all the
separate files as well, especially when there are changes across multiple
versions of the tests.

Thanks
Alex.

--
Alex Kavanagh - Software Engineer
OpenStack Engineering - Data Centre Development - Canonical Ltd