[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 30 16:50:39 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-30 15:16:08 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> so that has never actully been supported, the server name has to
> be a hostname not a FQDN. any use of a an fqdn has never been
> intended to be supproted.
[...]
> techinally you can set an fqdn in /etc/hostname but its discuraged
[...]

Yes, we directly set /etc/hostname to contain the "short" hostname
and set the FQDN in /etc/hosts as an alias for it bound to a
(secondary) v4 loopback consistent with the default configurations
for Debian/Ubuntu systems. We don't rely on hostname metadata or
cloud-init to provide correct representations, as cloud providers
like to mess around with things like default domains and that leads
to an inconsistent experience across different environments.
--
Jeremy Stanley