[telemetry] wallaby cycle planning session

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Mon Nov 30 07:26:23 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:25:09AM +0100, Matthias Runge wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> one of the biggest challenges for the telemetry stack is currently the state
> of gnocchi, which is... undefined/unfortunate/under-contributed/...?

Hi there,

we had our planning/brainstorming, where we talked about the current
state and the situation with gnocchi specifically.

The situation can probably be described as: gnocchi fills a gap
we couldn't satisfy to 100% if we would have to replace it. Also
it is seen as well performing and functional.

We also talked about the discussion around moving gnocchi back under
openinfra and what this would solve. It is well understood, that
the initial gnocchi project contributors are not paid for any work they
do on gnocchi. We agreed to address the concern "we can not merge
anything in gnocchi" by contributing to gnocchi for the next cycle and
to revisit the situation next cycle. Julien, Mehdi and also Gord
mentioned(iirc), that a bar for getting merge permission for a project
with only a few contributors is quite low.

A few PRs against gnocchi were mentioned, which were contributed but not
reviewed/merged yet.

* https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi/pull/1059
* https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi/pull/1062
* https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi/pull/1056 (this one was merged)
* https://github.com/gnocchixyz/python-gnocchiclient/pull/104

We'll take a look and see how to proceed here. Gnocchis CI system
apparently needs some work.

On a related note, we are actively seeking to increase the collaboration
with related projects or sigs, for example with CloudKitty.

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/telemetry-wallaby-topics

Matthias
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>