[ironic] [tripleo] RFC: lzma vs gzip for compressing IPA initramfs

Sergii Golovatiuk sgolovat at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 13:00:10 UTC 2020

Hi,

LZMA causes very high CPU and memory usage for creating images, leaving
less resources for other processes. If Ironic is running alongside with
other services that may cause significant impact for them. I would leave
gzip option as default, would introduce --lzma as well as --gzip and use
lzma on 5-10% of our CI resources to test how it goes. Then after a
significant amount of testing we could turn it on as default. Proper
deprecation should be applied here as well IMHO.

--
Sergii Golovatiuk

Senior Software Developer

Red Hat  <https://www.redhat.com/>