[oslo] py-amqp TLS peer authentication

Moises Guimaraes de Medeiros moguimar at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 19:30:35 UTC 2020

Hi all,

This email is about a potential MITM attack, I would like to get some input
on my proposed solution.

*Disclaimer: I'm not an oslo.messaging expert or even versed in its
codebase but I have a good*
* number of hours working with TLS already.*

Back in September, there was a fix[1] in py-amqp to stop to use deprecated
method ssl.wrap_socket.
Although I didn't follow anything about oslo.messaging, the PR was brought
to my attention by Hervé,
another oslo core, who sees me as an SME on TLS among the oslo cores. I
didn't follow the entire
conversation back then, I was only able to give some quick input, but Hervé
was able to finish the PR
with the help of another developer.

Then earlier this month, another PR[2] was reintroducing a couple of
parameters that got dropped in
the deprecation fix. At that point it was raised the possibility of a MITM
attack in an issue[3] and by
reintroducing the dropped parameters, the problem should be fixed.

A couple of days went by and I started to have a hunch that there could
still be more to fix. I went
to py-amqp codebase instead of just looking to the diffs on GitHub and
noticed a not straightforward
logic on how verify_mode and check_hostname were being set.

Today I had time to go back to the py-amqp codebase and rework the
_wrap_socket_sni() method.
I've put up this PR[4] and it is already failing in my travis[5] for
integration tests which make me believe
that the client sockets were actually not validating the server certs.

There are a few more comments on the fix in the description of PR[4].

[1]: https://github.com/celery/py-amqp/pull/327
[2]: https://github.com/celery/py-amqp/pull/344
[3]: https://github.com/celery/py-amqp/issues/342
[4]: https://github.com/celery/py-amqp/pull/347