[kolla][ptg] Kolla Wallaby priorities

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon Nov 23 10:33:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 15:06, Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 20:26, Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who attended the Kolla PTG sessions, we covered a
> > lot of ground. The Etherpad is available at [1]. I wrote an email [2]
> > summarising the discussions. I have moved candidate work items across
> > to a second Etherpad [2] for voting on.
> >
> > Now is the time to vote! Please add your name against a maximum of 12
> > items across the 3 deliverables (kolla, kolla-ansible, kayobe) in the
> > priorities [2] Etherpad. Anyone in the community is welcome to vote.
> >
> > [1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/kolla-wallaby-ptg
> > [2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-October/018445.html
> > [3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/kolla-wallaby-priorities
>
> I'll close the poll at the end of this week. Please get your votes in
> before then.

Voting is now closed. I have added up the votes, and ordered the
priorities on the Whiteboard [1]. Thank you to everyone who voted. Do
not despair if your feature is not high on the list, or on it at all -
this is simply a guide for contributors to help steer the direction of
the project.

# General

* High level documentation, eg. examples of networking config,
diagrams, justification of use of containers, not k8s etc. (8 votes)

* Ability to run CI jobs locally (without Zuul, but possibly with
Ansible) (5 votes)

# Kolla

* Infra images (4 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla/+spec/infra-images

* Image tiering (3 votes)
  Avoid breakage of non-core images blocking publishing of all others

* Integrate support for pull-retag-push (3 votes)
  https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007731 (original kayobe story)

* Build, test, promote CI pipeline (3 votes)
  Build images, test them, promote for general availability

# Kolla Ansible

* HAProxy hitless reload (8 votes)

* TLS in other services: (7 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/mariadb-ssl-support
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/memcached-ssl-support

* Let's Encrypt integration - container running certbot, triggers
certificate distribution (6 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/letsencrypt-https

* Implement TLS Backend for all remaining API services with externally
exposed API (5 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/add-ssl-internal-network

* Modernise the old skool Swift role (5 votes)

* Container health checks (continued) (4 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/container-health-check

* Upgrade checkers (3 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/upgrade-checkers

* More fine grained skipping of tasks, e.g. allow to skip service
registration (3 votes)

* Support to identity federation (OpenID Connect) configurations in
Keystone and Horizon via Kolla-ansible (3 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/add-openid-support

* Replace use of Docker with Podman (3 votes)

* Support extensions to deployment (3 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/deploy-extensions

* Performance improvements (3 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/performance-improvements

* Octavia - automated health manager network interface management (3 votes)
  https://review.opendev.org/755589

* Masakari hostmonitor support (2 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/masakari-hostmonitor

* Native fluentd logging (2 votes)

* Day 2 ops tools (restart containers, upgrade Docker, prune DBs…) (2 votes)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/docker-upgrade-reconfigure-command

* Designate - automated zone creation (1 vote)

* Node removal (decommission) (1 vote)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/remove-node

* Capture docker logs (1 vote)
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+spec/capture-docker-logs

* DNS-based endpoint naming (1 vote)
  mini spec: https://review.opendev.org/759706

# Kayobe

* Support multiple environments from a single kayobe configuration (4 votes)

* Document configuration walk through (4 votes)
  https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004360

* Offline configuration generation (3 votes)

* Next generation discovery & network configuration (2 votes)
  https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004295

* Replace bifrost with kolla-ansible for seed services (2 votes)
  https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004293

* Switch to NetworkManager (1 vote)

* Strip out Grafana post configure functionality and move it to
Kolla-Ansible (1 vote)

* Support external custom playbooks, roles and plugins via Ansible
collections (1 vote)

* Hashivault integration (1 vote)

* Support for multiple deploy image types on overcloud nodes (0 votes)
  https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002098

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/KollaWhiteBoard