[docs] HTTP redirects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Nov 17 20:11:45 UTC 2020

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Peter Matulis <peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> So I followed instructions [1] to implement redirects and it's not working. Please let me know where I went wrong:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/763067/ <https://review.opendev.org/#/c/763067/>
>
> Shouldn't the first URL redirect to the second?
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/config-openstack.html <https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/config-openstack.html>
> https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/configure-openstack.html <https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/configure-openstack.html>
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> [1]: https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/redirects.html <https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/redirects.html>
You’ve followed the steps to put the redirects in your repo, but not to enable redirects for the published project.

You need to edit https://opendev.org/openstack/openstack-manuals/src/branch/master/www/project-data/latest.yaml#L859 <https://opendev.org/openstack/openstack-manuals/src/branch/master/www/project-data/latest.yaml#L859> as described in https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/redirects.html#enable-detailed-redirects-for-your-project <https://docs.openstack.org/doc-contrib-guide/redirects.html#enable-detailed-redirects-for-your-project>

It is also possible that the redirect rules that have been added in the patch you linked to won’t do what you expect. All of the other example redirects use the full path from the root of docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org/>.

Doug