Victoria Release Community Meeting

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Nov 12 16:03:24 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-12 13:38:11 +0000 (+0000), Erno Kuvaja wrote:
[...]
> effectively forces the usage of their application (I've yet to get
> into session without it like Thomas pointed out.)
[...]

I'm no fan of Zoom either, for many of the aforementioned reasons,
but here's how I've managed to get the Web-based client to work and
not install their proprietary client/extension:

0. First, having a vanilla browser process seems to help, as I've
seen privacy/security-oriented extensions and configuration options
block the A/V stream connections. My normal locked-down browser is
Firefox, so I have Chromium installed with no extensions and its
default configuration which I run exclusively for accessing Zoom and
similar videoconferencing sites.

1. Load the Zoom meeting URL and you will be prompted to "Open
xdg-open" which you *don't* want (this is what will try to install
the binary client). Instead click the "Cancel" button on that pop-up
modal.

2. Now click on the "Launch Meeting" button on the page and the same
xdg-open modal popup will appear again. "Cancel" it a second time.

3. Next you'll see that the page has suddenly added a small-print
line which says "Having issues with Zoom Client? Join from Your
Browser" so go ahead and click on the "Join from Your Browser" link.
This is the "web client" Zoom would rather you didn't use (since I'm
paranoid I assume it's because they prefer to have as much access to
my system and my valuable data as possible).

4. Enter your name or nickname on the new page which loads. You'll
probably also be presented with a "I'm not a robot" reCaptcha which
you'll need to check and solve the subsequently presented puzzle to
donate your mechanical turk time to train Google's AI algorithms to
be able to recognize crosswalks, bicycles, chimneys, boats, traffic
signals, palm trees, tractors, and other VERY IMPORTANT objects.

5. If you're good enough at solving puzzles, now you should be able
to click the "Join" button on the page.

6. Enter the meeting passcode if prompted for one (likely buried
somewhere in the invite).

Simple, right? :/
--
Jeremy Stanley