[neutron] Use the same network interface with multiple ML2 mechanism drivers

Gabriel Omar Gamero Montenegro gabriel.gamero at pucp.edu.pe
Mon Nov 9 14:24:57 UTC 2020

I'm planning to deploy OpenStack with 2 mechanism drivers on physical
servers with only one network interface card: openvswitch and SR-IOV.
According to what I read, it is possible to use the same physical
interface using these 2 mechanism drivers.

I assume this is possible because a NIC with SR-IOV capabilities can
divide a NIC into a PhysicalFunction (which I'm using for openvswitch)
and many VirtualFunctions (which I'm using for SR-IOV).

Before editing something on physical servers I was planning to use a
test environment with virtual machines where I do not count with a NIC
with SR-IOV capabilities.

Since the mechanism driver of openvswitch will work with security
groups and the SR-IOV mechanism driver can't have security groups
enabled, I was planning to use linux bridge as a replacement and
disable the security feature.

Thus, I can make security tests with a SDN module that I'm developing
for networks with SR-IOV in OpenStack.

Thanks.
Gabriel Gamero.