Python 3.9 is here in Debian Sid

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 2 15:10:46 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-16 13:59:10 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-10-16 10:21:34 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
> > I also think it'd be nice to have non-voting jobs detecting
> > deprecated stuff. For example, a quick grep shows that a lot of
> > projects are still using collections.Mapping instead of
> > collections.abc.Mapping (which is to be removed in Python 3.10,
> > according to the 3.9 release notes). Would there be a way to get
> > our CI report these issues earlier?
>
> They're going to all explode, at least until PBR gets some more
> changes merged and released to stop doing deprecated things. I've
> been slowly working my way through testing simple PBR-using projects
> with PYTHONWARNINGS=error (instead of =default::DeprecationWarning)
> and fixing or noting the issues I encounter. Up until recently, a
> number of its dependencies were also throwing deprecation warnings
> under 3.9, but now I think we're down to just a couple of remaining
> fixes pending. We didn't want to try to rush in a new PBR release
> until Victoria was wrapped up, but now I think we can finish this
> fairly soon.

Just to follow up, at this point I think we've merged and released
everything PBR needs for this, but now it's become apparent we're
blocked on Setuptools behavior. In particular, any call into
setuptools/command/build_py.py unconditionally tries to import
setuptools.lib2to3_ex.Mixin2to3 even if the build is not going to
use lib2to3, so this will automatically raise a
SetuptoolsDeprecationWarning if run with PYTHONWARNINGS=error. I
expect we're stuck until
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/2086 gets resolved, so
this is the next thing to work on if anyone has time (it may take me
a while to get around to submitting a PR as I expect they're going
to want a very thorough cleanup).
--
Jeremy Stanley