[all][stable] Moving the stable/ocata to 'Unmaintained' phase and then EOL

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri May 29 11:34:46 UTC 2020

Hi,

First of all, let's just start that Matt's resolution about Extended
Maintenance [1] is a good and detailed description about what and how
the community decided to handle the extended support of old stable
branches. Even the testing difficulties part [2] is well described and
actually explains the very same situation what Gmann's mail is about.
According to that section it is possible that branches uses reduced sets
of testing, even without tempest jobs. I think we understood that it is
more risky to accept fixes that might not be fully tested, but that is a
risk that we accepted when Extended Maintenance process was proposed.
Furthermore, I could imagine that some patches are not accepted to get
merged in such branches because stable cores consider it too risky
without testing it properly, while other patches can be easily merged as
those are not considered dangerous.

On the other hand of course if a project's stable maintainers do not
have the capacity to deal with an old branch, then it is a possibility
to propose End of Life for that branch on this mailing list (according
to process [3]). If no one volunteers to help them with the reviews and
backports, then it's time to EOL. And again, according to the
resolution, it is imagined a per-project EOL, not an overall
community-wide EOL as was before.

What I see though is that there are not that high number of incoming
patches against Ocata in the last months so it shouldn't take that much
extra work compared to newer stable branches, still it needs work of
course and dedicated reviewers, dedicated time. So who are interested in
keeping old branches alive should step up and spend time on reviewing.
We shouldn't forget that this process is to help developers, vendors and
operators. But we need them to show interest.

What Sean wrote about requirement team's burden is much more real as
that is the biggest pain point of the old branches. (Especially now,
when not even py27 is dropped, but random modules decide to drop also
py35, py36, py37, too - not to mention that sometimes they do it
improperly, causing extra chaos). This could really push us toward
EOL'ing a complete branch. So maybe this team needs more help from
interested parties.

Finally, my last comment: it's a great success that two years after the
originally planned EOL date, Ocata could still accept fixes. That was/is
the goal of Extended Maintenance.

TL;DR: If it's not feasible to fix a general issue of a job, then drop
that job. And I think we should not EOL Ocata in general, rather let
projects EOL their ocata branch if they cannot invest more time on
fixing them.

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180301-stable-branch-eol.html
[2]