[nova][neutron][ptg] How to increase the minimum bandwidth guarantee of a running instance

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Tue May 26 08:35:44 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 23:48, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 21:55 +0200, Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  Thx for starting this thread.
>>  I can share some thoughts from the Neutron point of view.
>>
>>  On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 04:08:18PM +0200, Balázs
>> Gibizer wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
>> intentionally
>>  > kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude it before
>> the PTG]
>>  >
>>  > As a next step in the minimum bandwidth QoS support I would like
>> to solve
>>  > the use case where a running instance has some ports with minimum
>> bandwidth
>>  > but then user wants to change (e.g. increase) the minimum
>> bandwidth used by
>>  > the instance.
>>  >
>>  > I see two generic ways to solve the use case:
>>  >
>>  > Option A - interface attach
>>  > ---------------------------
>>  >
>>  > Attach a new port with minimum bandwidth to the instance to
>> increase the
>>  > instance's overall bandwidth guarantee.
>>  >
>>  > This only impacts Nova's interface attach code path:
>>  > 1) The interface attach code path needs to read the port's
>> resource request
>>  > 2) Call Placement GET /allocation_candidates?in_tree=<compute RP
>> of the
>>  > instance>
>>  > 3a) If placement returns candidates then select one and modify
>> the current
>>  > allocation of the instance accordingly and continue the existing
>> interface
>>  > attach code path.
>>  > 3b) If placement returns no candidates then there is no free
>> resource left
>>  > on the instance's current host to resize the allocation locally.
> so currently we dont support attaching port with resouce request.
> if we were to do that i would prefer to make it more generic e.g.
> support attich sriov devices as well.

For me supporting interface attach with resource request is a different
feature from supporting interface attach with vnic_type direct or
direct_physical. However supporting increasing minimum bandwidth of an
instance by attaching new SRIOV ports with bigger qos rule would
require both features to be implemented. So yes at the end I would need
both.