[nova][ptg] Runway process in Victoria

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Mon May 25 14:22:51 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 21:34, Stephen Finucane <stephenfin at redhat.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 17:42 +0200, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
>>  intentionally kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude
>> it
>>  before the PTG]
>>

>>  In the last 4 cycles we used a process called runway to focus and
>>  timebox of the team's feature review effort. However compared to the
>>  previous cycles in ussuri we did not really keep the process
>> running.
>>  Just compare the length of the Log section of each etherpad
>>  [1][2][3][4] to see the difference. So I have two questions:
>>
>>  1) Do we want to keep the process in Victoria?
>>
>>  2) If yes, how we can make the process running?
>>  2.1) How can we keep the runway etherpad up-to-date?
>>  2.2) How to make sure that the team is focusing on the reviews that
>> are
>>  in the runway slots?
>>
>>  Personally I don't want to advertise this process for contributors
>> if
>>  the core team is not agreed and committed to keep the process
>> running
>>  as it would lead to unnecessary disappointment.
>
> I tend to use this as a way to find things to review, though I think
> I'd be equally well served by a gerrit dashboard that filtered on bp
> topics. I've stopped using it because I already do a lot of reviews
> and
> have no issue finding more but also, more importantly, because I
> didn't
> find having *my* items in a runway significantly increased reviews
> from
> anyone != mriedem. If there were sign on from every core to prioritize
> this (perhaps with a reminder during the weekly meeting?) then I'd
> embrace it again. If not though, I'd rather we dropped it than make
> false promises.

I totally agree to avoid the false promise. As far as I understood you
dropped reviewing things in the runway at least partly because the
focused review of your patches the runway promised you was not
delivered. This support my feeling that the core team needs to re-take
the agreement that we want to follow this process and that we are
willing to prioritize reviews in the slots.

I as the PTL willing to do the scheduling of the slots (a.k.a
paperwork) and sure I can add a topic for the meeting agenda about
patches in the runway slots.

I as a core willing to try again the runway process by prioritizing
reviewing things in the slots.

Let's see other core will join in.

cheers,
gibi