[nova][ptg] Runway process in Victoria

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri May 22 20:34:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 17:42 +0200, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
> intentionally kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude it
> before the PTG]
>

> In the last 4 cycles we used a process called runway to focus and
> timebox of the team's feature review effort. However compared to the
> previous cycles in ussuri we did not really keep the process running.
> Just compare the length of the Log section of each etherpad
> [1][2][3][4] to see the difference. So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Do we want to keep the process in Victoria?
>
> 2) If yes, how we can make the process running?
> 2.1) How can we keep the runway etherpad up-to-date?
> 2.2) How to make sure that the team is focusing on the reviews that are
> in the runway slots?
>
> Personally I don't want to advertise this process for contributors if
> the core team is not agreed and committed to keep the process running
> as it would lead to unnecessary disappointment.

I tend to use this as a way to find things to review, though I think
I'd be equally well served by a gerrit dashboard that filtered on bp
topics. I've stopped using it because I already do a lot of reviews and
have no issue finding more but also, more importantly, because I didn't
find having *my* items in a runway significantly increased reviews from
anyone != mriedem. If there were sign on from every core to prioritize
this (perhaps with a reminder during the weekly meeting?) then I'd
embrace it again. If not though, I'd rather we dropped it than make
false promises.

Stephen