[keystone] scope enforcement ready for prime time?

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:03:59 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 2020 at 00:19, Nikolla, Kristi <knikolla at bu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > If the API in that OpenStack service doesn't have support for
> system/domain scopes and only checks for the admin role, the user would
> have cloud admin on that specific OpenStack API.
> >
> > Until all the services that you have deployed in your cloud properly
> support scopes, admin role on anything still gives cloud admin.
> >
> > Best,
> > Kristi
>
> Thanks for the response Kristi. I think we can solve this particular
> use case with a custom policy and role in the mean time.
>
> Having spent a little time playing with scopes, I found it quite
> awkward getting the right environment variables into OSC to get the
> scope I wanted. e.g. Need OS_DOMAIN_* and no OS_PROJECT_* to get a
> domain scoped token. I suppose clouds.yaml could help.

++

I typically put different scopes in their own profiles. While it results in
multiple profiles for the same cloud, it's relatively easy to switch back
and forth between the various contexts.

$ openstack --os-cloud system-admin list domains
$ openstack --os-cloud domain-admin create user foo
$ openstack --os-cloud project-member list servers