[kolla] Ceph transition plan

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon May 18 07:49:53 UTC 2020

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 18:02, Eric K. Miller <emiller at genesishosting.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that in Kolla's master branch that Ceph has been removed, as
> expected for a deprecated component (I'm sad, though, since it works so
> well!).
>
> In the release notes, it is noted that "Prior to this we will ensure a
> migration path to another tool such as Ceph Ansible is available."  Is
> this migration path documented since it appears that the latest release
> will not have the Kolla Ceph container available?

Hi Eric,

I'm afraid we don't currently have a migration path to another tool.
There were a few factors that got us to this point. First, the move to
CentOS 8 meant that continuing to support Ceph in Ussuri would have
required some additional work, and finding a path to migrate a Ceph
cluster from CentOS 7 to 8, only for us to then drop support. Second,
there is considerable churn in the Ceph deployment arena currently,
with the Ceph team working on cephadm [1] and appearing less
interested in ceph-ansible. This made it hard for us to pick a tool as
the target for a migration.

I would suggest finding some other users of kolla ceph clusters, and
trying to come up with a plan. There are two options I can see.

1. develop and test a migration path to another tool
2. extract ceph images and deployment support from kolla and
kolla-ansible into a separate project

I'm sure the upstream community would be able to assist in either of
these paths.

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephadm/

Thanks,
Mark