[all] pep8 job failing due to flake8 3.8.0

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri May 15 00:53:11 UTC 2020

 ---- On Tue, 12 May 2020 22:14:28 -0500 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 >  ---- On Tue, 12 May 2020 14:43:07 -0500 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 >  > ---- On Tue, 12 May 2020 13:07:43 -0500 Brian Haley <haleyb.dev at gmail.com> wrote ----
 >  >  > On 5/12/20 1:23 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 >  >  > <snip>
 >  >  >
 >  >  > >   > > This is also failing on some stable branches that had not moved to
 >  >  > >   > > hacking 3.0 yet. In this case, it may be better to add a flake8 cap to
 >  >  > >   > > the repo's test-requirements.txt file rather than backporting a major
 >  >  > >   > > bump in hacking and dealing with the need to make a lot of code changes.
 >  >  > >   > >
 >  >  > >   > > Here is an example of that approach:
 >  >  > >   > >
 >  >  > >   > > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727265/
 >  >  > >   >
 >  >  > >   > I found in the neutron stable/ussuri repo that capping flake8<3.8.0
 >  >  > >   > didn't work, but capping pycodestyle did.  So that's another option.
 >  >  > >   >
 >  >  > >   > -pycodestyle>=2.0.0 # MIT
 >  >  > >   > +pycodestyle>=2.0.0,<2.6.0 # MIT
 >  >  > >   >
 >  >  > >   > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727274/
 >  >
 >  > Adding what we discussed on IRC about the workable solution.
 >  >
 >  > flake8 2.6.2 which is pulled by older hacking in stable/train and less does not have
 >  > cap for pycodestyle so if test-requirement.txt has "pycodestyle>***" then you need
 >  > to cap it explicitly with what Brian proposed in https://review.opendev.org/#/c/727274/
 >  >
 >  > otherwise flake8 2.6.2 will pull the new  pycodestyle and break.
 >
 > If your project is using flake8-import-order plugin then also we need to cap pycodestyle explicitly.
 > flake8-import-order does not cap pycodestyle and pull the latest pycodestyle, I have proposed PR
 > there at least to be safe for the future version.
 >
 > - https://github.com/PyCQA/flake8-import-order/pull/172

hacking 3.1.0 is released now which will bring flake8 3.8.0 new chekcs. So if
pep8 job is failing on your repo then, merge the already proposed patch which cap
hacking >=3.0.1 <3.1.0. I have proposed the patches and should be ready to merge.

And later you can fix the code and adopt new hacking 3.1.0 whenever you want to do but that is not urgent.

-gmann