[puppet] Puppet 5 is officially unsupported in Victoria release

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri May 8 20:24:49 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-08 22:06:14 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 5/8/20 7:58 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> > whether the Puppet OpenStack team wants the burden of spending a
> > cycle targeting support for a Puppet version which will be EOL the
> > month after the release (especially given deployment projects
> > usually release as much as a month after the coordinated release
> > already).
>
> I don't see how this can be a burden. It's not as if the language
> changed that much and if there was major incompatibilities.
[...]

Well, it does mean keeping those modules working with two major
versions of Puppet which, speaking from past experience, is not
easy (and a big part of why we decided to replace all our
orchestration and configuration management in OpenDev with something
other than Puppet after the Puppet 3->4->5 transition).

How much of a strain that is on the Puppet OpenStack team, I can't
say.
--
Jeremy Stanley