[puppet] Puppet 5 is officially unsupported in Victoria release

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri May 8 17:58:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-08 18:54:29 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> I don't agree with this decision. Debian Buster is still with
> puppet 5, and puppet 6 hasn't even been uploaded to Unstable yet.
>
> How can I make you change your mind?

My attempt at reading the tea leaves Puppet calls their version
support matrix indicates that Puppet 5.x enters "extended support"
this month and reaches EOL in November. OpenStack Victoria is
scheduled to release in October, so I guess it's a question of
whether the Puppet OpenStack team wants the burden of spending a
cycle targeting support for a Puppet version which will be EOL the
month after the release (especially given deployment projects
usually release as much as a month after the coordinated release
already).

Debian Bullseye will probably have to release with Puppet >= 6, so
hopefully it'll be in buster-backports soon after it enters testing,
but it would be good to find out from Debian's Puppet package
maintainers what their plans are. It looks like Puppet 6.x has been
around for over a year now, hopefully it's at least on their radar.
--
Jeremy Stanley