[puppet] Testing OCI in the OpenDev gate [was: Configuring Debian's uwsgi for each service]

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue May 5 21:59:12 UTC 2020

On 5/5/20 12:15 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-05-04 23:00:11 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> One of the problems is that I've added some unit tests, but they can't
>> be launch because currently there's no Debian testing activated.
>> Hopefully, I'll be able to work again on having Debian to gate on the
>> OpenDev CI again, and have a colleague to co-maintain it. Does anyone
>> have an idea on how to fix the situation before this happens?
> [...]
>
> Assistance keeping the image builds working as things change in
> relevant distros is of course highly appreciated, and even
> necessary. That said, we have debian-buster and debian-buster-arm64
> images currently you can run jobs on, the image updates seems to be
> in working order. We can probably get some debian-bullseye or
> debian-sid images implemented too if there's sufficient demand.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for always being welcoming and nice, though the issue here is not
really having a Buster image (or Sid, or Bullseye) in the infra. I know
it's there. The problem is making puppet-openstack CI itself to work
with Debian. This means that I must fully upstream my patches, including
(and mainly) in the puppet-openstack-integration repository where tests
are actually happening. That's a lot of work, which I currently don't
have enough time for. So I keep postponing it, and just test why my
local environment.

The other thing which I should work on is having OCI integrated with the
OpenDev CI. I believe we talked about it briefly during fossdem, not
sure if you remember. Currently, testing half-manually takes a lot of my
time, and I'd love to automate it fully. Though I'm having a hard time
figuring out how I could do. In my current environment, I have a big
machine with 256 GB of RAM, where I install 20 VMs that I can install
OpenStack on. It wouldn't be hard to scale this down by half, but I
hardly see how I could work with 8GB of RAM, or how I could make all of
this tested. My tool includes bare-metal provisioning, where VMs are
PXE-booting and receive some IPMI commands (I use ipmi_sim...). I don't
know how that would work in a multi-VM thing.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)