[tc][uc][all] Starting community-wide goals ideas for V series

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue May 5 16:35:55 UTC 2020

On 4/30/20 12:59 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Thanks for your helpful reply.
>
> On 4/30/20 5:43 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
>> Note that we already have systemd notification support in oslo.service:
>> https://github.com/openstack/oslo.service/blob/master/oslo_service/systemd.py
>>

>> It looks like it should behave sanely without systemd as long as you
>> don't set NOTIFY_SOCKET in the service env.
>
> Oh, so it means downstream packages must set an env var to support it?

I've never used this, but according to
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1120023/how-to-use-systemd-notify it
looks like you just set the service type to notify and then systemd does
what needs to be done.

> The other issue I have is that there's zero documentation on who's
> supporting it... :/

Yeah, oslo.service doesn't really have any user docs. We could also
probably test this now that devstack is using systemd.

>> It is. Check out the doc for the debug option in Nova:
>> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/sample-config.html
>
> Right. There's really not a lot of them... :(

The vast majority of requests for reloadable config were the debug
option, which is why that was the focus of the community goal. Others
can be added, but each one needs to be verified by the project to ensure
that they can be safely reloaded.