[puppet] Configuring Debian's uwsgi for each service

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 4 21:00:11 UTC 2020

On 5/4/20 3:37 PM, Luke Short wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> From a RHEL/CentOS perspective, uWSGI is also not packaged in the main
> repositories meaning it is effectively unsupported as well. It is in the
> Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) repository but we do not
> support mixing our RDO (OpenStack) packages with EPEL as it will almost
> always guarantee issues with dependencies. In the TripleO community,
> because of this, we have had to stick with using Apache's WSGI module
> for serving the OpenStack API endpoints.
>
> I do think the proposal sounds great and if anyone wants to work on
> adding the Puppet bits to support uWSGI then I do not believe anyone
> will stop you. The real-world testing and usage of it by other
> distributions may be minimal due to these packaging and support
> restraints. Alternatively you may also want to look into
> OpenStack-Ansible as they heavily use uWSGI
> <https://github.com/openstack/ansible-role-uwsgi> with Ubuntu based
> containers managed by Ansible.
>
> Sincerely,
>     Luke Short

Hi,

Ok, so we may as well forget having support for Red Hat, unless the
situation changes there too. IMO, it's a shame that uwsgi doesn't have
enough support in downstream distros. :(

Anyway, let's move forward, since it looks like everybody is happy about
my proposal.

One of the problems is that I've added some unit tests, but they can't
be launch because currently there's no Debian testing activated.
Hopefully, I'll be able to work again on having Debian to gate on the
OpenDev CI again, and have a colleague to co-maintain it. Does anyone
have an idea on how to fix the situation before this happens?

Though I've tested locally this patch:
https://review.opendev.org/725065

tweaking the amount of processes with this code:
    neutron_uwsgi_config {
      'uwsgi/processes': value => 12;
    }

and it worked as expected (ie: the number of processes switches from 8
to 12, which is what I wanted).

The only problem is that I would expect the neutron-api service to be
restarted if one of the neutron_uwsgi_config resource is changed, and
this didn't happen. How can I fix this?

Also, how can I make sure resources are defined only once, like with
neutron_config?

Cheersm

Thomas Goirand (zigo)