[tripleo] Container image tooling roadmap

Ruslanas Gžibovskis ruslanas at lpic.lt
Sun May 3 22:09:51 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Sorry to get into, but I have chosen to use TripleO with CentOS (around
10clouds with 16 racks), and several production clouds as RHOSP (3).
Not sure, how using ubi8 impacts CentOS8 and future releases...

Also, I loved the concept, that Emilien and Alex mention.
Quote by Emilien:
"Our proposal is going to make it extremely simple: one YAML file per image
with no downstream version of it. No extra overrides; no complications. One
file, consumed upstream, downstream everywhere.

As for customers/partners/third party; it'll be very easy to create their
own images. The new interface is basically the Dockerfile one; and we'll
make sure this is well documented with proper examples (e.g neutron
drivers, etc)."

Also, Alex idea, as I understood:
"User select whichever image base user wants (OpenBSD + pip install of OSP
components of maybe even exact build and/or tag from github or even local
copy?!) in one simple build file. And generates those images in users own
environment, and places them in \"undercloud\" or local docker/podman repo."

That would be perfect for me, as my second step, once I have all setup
deviations in place I might like/need to apply some additional tools into
containers, also, some light infra modifications like logging... Maybe
TripleO already has this covered, will need to dig into it.

Sorry for making you read all of this (if someone did), as I could only
help by doing deployments and run some tests (but running tests is OSP
part, not TripleO) with high throughput (around 17Mpps with small packets
[Mega Packets Per Second]) and running instances with 2000 IP addresses on
a single port, as the app is too old to rewrite it, but it is still in use
and will be :) and, I believe, that even some of you use it indirectly even
now :)

Thank you
Have a nice daytime and keep a smile on your face!