[tripleo] Container image tooling roadmap

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat May 2 13:37:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-01 15:18:13 -0500 (-0500), Kevin Carter wrote:
> As you may have seen, the TripleO project has been testing the
> idea of building container images using a simplified toolchain
[...]

Is there an opportunity to collaborate around the proposed plan for
publishing basic docker-image-based packages for OpenStack services?

    https://review.opendev.org/720107

Obviously you're aiming at solving this for a comprehensive
deployment rather than at a packaging level, just wondering if
there's a way to avoid having an explosion of different images for
the same services if they could ultimately use the same building
blocks. (A cynical part of me worries that distro "party lines" will
divide folks on what the source of underlying files going into
container images should be, but I'm sure our community is better
than that, after all we're all in this together.)

Either way, if they can both make use of the same speculative
container building workflow pioneered in Zuul/OpenDev, that seems
like a huge win (and I gather the Kolla "krew" are considering
redoing their CI jobs along those same lines as well).
--
Jeremy Stanley