[oslo][nova][vmware] Replacement for suds library

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Mar 25 11:14:57 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 3:04 PM, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> The suds-jurko library used by oslo.vmware is emitting the following
> warnings in nova tests.
>
>   /nova/.tox/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/suds/resolver.py:89: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \%
>     self.splitp = re.compile('({.+})*[^\%s]+' % ps[0])
>   /nova/.tox/py36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/suds/wsdl.py:619: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \s
>     body.parts = re.split('[\s,]', parts)
>
> These warnings are going to be errors in Python 3.10 [1]. We have over
> 18 months before we need to worry about this [2], but I'd like to see
> some movement on this well before then. It seems the suds-jurko fork is
> dead [3] and movement on yet another fork, suds-community, is slow [4].
> How difficult would it be to switch over to something that does seem
> maintained like zeep [5] and, assuming it's doable, is anyone from
> VMWare/SAP able to do this work?
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

This IMO should be coordinated with Cinder, who also uses suds. Please
make sure that both projects are moving on the same direction, using the
same library for these XML stuff.

It's been a long time I've been saying we should get rid of that one
library which has historically been very annoying. I'm very happy to
finally see movement!

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)