[kolla][uc] Kolla SIG

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Tue Mar 24 16:24:57 UTC 2020

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 16:39, Mark Goddard <mark at stackhpc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose the creation of a Special Interest Group (SIG) [0]
> for Kolla.
>
> The main aim of the group would be to improve communication between
> operators and developers.
>
> The SIG would host regular virtual project onboarding, project update,
> and feedback sessions, ideally via video calls. This should remove the
> necessity of being physically present at Open Infra Summits for
> participation in the project. I like to think of this as the fifth
> open [1] (name TBD).
>
> I propose that in addition to the above sessions, the SIG should host
> more informal discussions, probably every 2-4 weeks with the aim of
> meeting other community members, discussing successes and failures,
> sharing knowledge, and generally getting to know each other a bit
> better. These could be via video call, IRC, or a mix.
>
> Finally - I propose that we build and maintain a list of Kolla users,
> including details of their environments and areas of interest and
> expertise. Of course this would be opt-in. This would help us to
> connect with subject matter experts and interested parties to help
> answer queries in IRC, or when making changes to a specific area.
>
> This is all up for discussion, and subject to sufficient interest. If
> you are interested, please add your name and email address to the
> Etherpad [2], along with any comments, thoughts or suggestions.
>
> [0] https://governance.openstack.org/sigs/
> [1] https://www.openstack.org/four-opens/
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-sig
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

We have had a good number of people express interest in this group.
Based on feedback it will not be a SIG, but an informal group
affiliated with the Kolla project.

Let's try to schedule a slot for some meetings. I've created a Doodle
poll [1] with hour-long slots between 12:00 UTC and 17:00 UTC, for
next week and the week after. I suggest we start with meetings every
two weeks while we build momentum, but we should probably drop to once
per month eventually.

[1] https://doodle.com/poll/9g7czxmdngd5zz4t

Cheers,
Mark