melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 01:55:15 UTC 2020

On 3/16/20 16:25, Julia Kreger wrote:

<snip>

> Traits/Scheduling/Flavor Explosion
> ===========================
>
> Arne with CERN raised this topic to bring greater awareness. CERN
> presently has greater than 100 flavors representing their hardware
> fleet as each physical machine type gets its own flavor. This has
> resulted in pain from the lack of flavor specific quotas. What may
> help in this area is for Resource Class based quotas, but presently
> the state of that work is unknown. The bottom line: A user does not
> have clarity into their resource usage. The question then shifted to
> being able to report utilization since the current quota model is
> based on cores/RAM/instances but not resource_class consumption as a
> whole.
>
> The question largely being “How many am I allowed to create? [before I
> eat someone else’s capacity]”.
>
> https://github.com/stackhpc/os-capacity was raised as a reporting tool
> that may help with these sorts of situations with bare metal cloud
> operators. Another point raised in this discussion was the lack of
> being able to tie consumer and project ID to consumed resources, but
> it turns out the allocation list functionality in Placement now has
> this functionality.
>
> In the end of this discussion, there was consensus that this should be
> brought back to the Nova community radar.

<snip>

FYI work is in progress to add the ability to have resource class based
quota limits as part of the larger effort to add support for unified
limits in nova:

https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bp/unified-limits-nova+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

Specifically, this work-in-progress patch will extract resource classes
from a flavor and use them during quota limit enforcement:

https://review.opendev.org/615180

Cheers,
-melanie